On July 18, 2013 at approximately 10:55 PM, Waterloo Fire and Police Departments responded to a 911 call of an active house fire at 38 Mill Street in the Village of Waterloo. According to the homeowners, Michael Andrews, age 64, and Carol Andrews, age 62, were upstairs when they heard a loud explosion coming from their basement. Upon investigation, they found that their basement and kitchen had quickly filled with hot thick smoke. They immediately evacuated the residence along with their grandson, DARIN WALTZ, age 17, who was staying the night. There were no injuries reported during the incident and the ANDREWS family was allowed by WFD to remain at their home.
Upon the completion of a thorough investigation, Waterloo Fire Chief Michael Reese, advises that the fire started in the basement as a result of spontaneous combustion. He explained that there was a number of old paint cans; shellac and stain cans and paint thinners being stored in close proximity to the water heater and boiler. Chief Reese advises homeowners that storing such materials can be dangerous and should be avoided.
There was a substantial amount of smoke damage on the first floor, specifically in the kitchen, as well as smoke and water damage to the basement. The fire also caused minor damage to some of the Andrews personal effects.
The ANDREWS home is insured and the home had several working smoke alarms throughout. At this time there are no estimated costs of damages.
Assisting at the scene was Bordercity Fire Department and North Seneca Ambulance.