Friday, October 19 2012 1:00 AM - 1:00 AM
The public is invited to the formal dedication of the Historic Marker for the former Seneca Army Depot. The ceremony will take place at the site of the marker at the former main entrance to the Depot, Route 96, Romulus, NY. on Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 4:00 p.m.
The Seneca Army Depot was started in 1941 was a munitions supply base to protect the northeastern United States against enemy attack in the early years of World War II. When the United States formally entered the war, the Depot became a major supply facility. The Depot continued as a major supply facility until its inactivation in July 2000.
Speaking at the dedication ceremonies will be Mr. Robert Hayssen, Chairperson, Seneca County Board of Supervisors; Mr. Mitch Rowe, Seneca County Manager; and Walter Gable, Seneca County Historian. The marker was funded by the Seneca County Board of Supervisors. The idea for this marker came from the group of local historians that put together an extensive program series in 2011 to mark the 70th anniversary of the establishment of the Depot. That group has also compiled its research and interviews into a new book titled The Seneca Army Depot: Fighting Wars from the New York Home Front that will be available in mid-November 2012.
The date for the dedication coincides with the 50th anniversary of the successful conclusion of the Cuban Missile Crisis. It is commonly stated that this crisis was the closest that the United States and the Soviet Union ever came to a direct nuclear confrontation. During those 13 days of the crisis, the Seneca Army Depot was fully prepared to provide weapons if requested.