Thursday, September 26 2013 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Tuesdays, October 1, 8, 15, 22, and 29, 2013
6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Cornell Cooperative Extension
480 North Main Street
Canandaigua, NY 14424
Canandaigua-So you want to be a farmer. You have thought about starting a small operation or you have purchased farmland and buildings and looking at getting into farming some type of livestock, fruit, or vegetable. Perhaps it is a 4-H project that you would like to expand into a farm enterprise. Not sure where to begin? Look no further! Cornell Cooperative Extension of Ontario County is offering a regional workshop series on Successful Farming for Beginners. There are five different classes held on Tuesday evenings from 6:30-8:30 pm at the Cornell Cooperative Extension Center, 480 North Main Street, Canandaigua, NY.
The class dates are Tuesdays, October 1, 8, 15, 22, and 29, 2013. Individuals are encouraged to attend all classes, but not a requirement.
Topics being covered include:
Class 1: October 1:
- Selecting a farm enterprise: What fits you and your land?
- What is your vision? Developing a startup farm plan/budget
Class 2: October 8:
· Developing a marketing plan – What is your product, how are you selling it and who are you selling it to?
· Marketing insights from farmers
Class 3: October 15:
- Understanding agricultural agencies, assessment, tax exemption regulations, licensing, and permits.
- Farm insurance – realities and liabilities
Class 4: October 22:
- Organic production – what are you getting into?
- Growing fruit and vegetable insights from farmers
Class 5: October 29:
- Record keeping for your new farm – tax purposes
- Pasture fed livestock – What is it and how to make it work?
Workshop fee is $65.00 per farm enterprise.
Workshop fee for attending one or two classes: $20.00 per class per farm enterprise.
The workshop is limited to the first 25 individuals.
Registration deadline is Thursday, September 26, 2013
To register and for additional information, contact 585-394-3977 x 427 or email email@example.com with your name, address, and phone number.