Congressman Tom Reed's opponent in the 23rd Congressional District race unveiled his plan to fight opioid abuse on Wednesday night in Elmira. Democrat John Plumb outlined a five-point attack on the epidemic that has impacted the Finger Lakes and the Southern Tier. The plan includes:
1. Changing our approach to pain management by emphasizing the research and development of non-opioid pain killers.
2. Effective treatment of overdose cases by increasing availability of the meds that reverse opioid overdoses.
3. Increase access to treatment and recovery, including support for rural emergency response teams.
4. Crack down on illegal drug use.
5. Raise awareness through aggressive media campaigns.