Fire crews were on the scene of a large fire in Wayne County well into the evening Friday. Apartments on top of a row of businesses along East Main Street in Palmyra were engulfed in flames.
One person was taken to the hospital, and four firefighters were treated for dehydration.
The 911 call came in around 3 p.m. Friday. Fire crews from across Wayne, Ontario, and Monroe counties were called to the scene.
People in neighboring businesses stopped what they were doing to help rescue trapped residents.
Photo by Seth Binnix
Robert Kelley, an employee of Pop's Hots. tells YNN "When we kicked in the bathroom window, smoke came out more, it was getting too bad, so I went through the hallway window, on the back roof, came out with another guy, took an axe, busted the kitchen window,"
The fire burned through a line of stores, including Mark's Pizzeria, Goldie's Boutique, and Spark of Divinity Congregation, and several apartments upstairs.
The fire started on the third floor, but a cause has yet to be determined.
More than 100 firefighters from 13 fire departments were called to fight the blaze.
The Red Cross is helping nine displaced residents.
Additional Photos Submitted by Carla Barbato